Wednesday, October 28, 2009

8848 Module 4 Second Life as a Disruptive Technology

Disruptive technologies, according to Thornburg in Laureate Education, 2009) is one of the six forces that drive emerging technologies. Thornburg references Clayton Christensen’s term of disruptive innovation as the groundwork of the notion of disruptive technology. In brief, a disruptive technology is an innovation along the evolutionary path of technology that takes the industry by storm in creating a more efficient, lower cost solution with increased benefits and makes it more possible for more consumers to access, afford, or utilize the innovation. At the same time, it obsoletes its predecessors.

Thornburg (in Laureate Education, 2009) uses the transistor as an example of disrupting the success of the vacuum tube. Other examples include the digital cameras replacing film or CDs replacing the phonograph.

For this module, we will discuss Second Life as a disruptive technology.

1. How is Second Life a disruptive technology?
2. What technology does it replace?
3. How long before it is replaced?

I am not 100% sure that Second Life is yet a disruptive technology, but perhaps on the verge of it. As the inventor Philip Rosedale states in his Second Life video talk, "We are more like the Wild West than like Rome." Furthermore, in an interview with Rosedale, (Lamont, 2009) he states that Second Life is in the first stage of at least three stages. Perhaps he is merely being humble, as Second Life could have begun to be a disruptive technology.

Second Life could be replacing games (Nintendo, GameBoy), virtual reality platforms, educational and training classrooms, office meeting and work collaboration areas, a streaming server (allows for streaming audio without a streaming server), and even Skype is mentioned as being replaced with equal or better sound but in a 3D meeting space.

Rosedale (2008) discusses how feedback from current users are consistently helping him to improve upon the concept by identifying the areas of lack and need. His futuristic mindset and drive to push this technology forward in time makes one speculate that he may even obsolete his own creation or come up with the second generation of Second Life. I would say it is too difficult to guestimate when another innovation may make Second Life obsolete. I think the next innovation may pop up as the next stage of processing, speed, power, and storage become faster and more efficient probably by jumping into a whole new realm that we don’t see today. Technological advances can sometimes seem to pop up at a drop of a hat or as Thornburg (in Laureate Education, 2009) said, like a wildcard, not knowing when it is coming, but when it does, "Look out."

4. What are the social benefits of Second Life and what might be the social implications of virtual worlds in my industry?

I hesitate to discuss the social benefits of Second Life. I think the negatives (too much make believe, hiding behind an identity, change of ethical/moral fiber, sitting at a computer too long, etc.) might outweigh the positives on a social level. But that would be a completely separate discussion. I am not saying Second Life is not beneficial for some areas. I often compare technology to a knife. Knives have a lot of great benefits (cooking, cutting, etc.), but if not used properly, they can be very detrimental. From my industry’s perspective, I can see how Second Life could be a helpful tool for training and simulation. Second Life could be a very inexpensive tool for learning, teaching, collaboration, and brainstorming in both the business and educational worlds.


Koh


Resources

Annotated bibliography of Second Life, http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~mpepper/slbib

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Science Fiction. [DVD]. In emerging and future technology. (Available from MBS Direct Virtual Bookstore, http://www.mbsdirect.net/Index.htm).

Lamont, I. (2009). Interview with Second Life creator Philip Rosedale. http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/01/30/interview-second-life-creator-philip-rosedale
Rosedale, P. (2008). Philip Rosedale on Second Life. http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/the_inspiration_of_second_life.html

4 comments:

Psych0daddy said...

Koh,

Really enjoyed your analysis: very thorough and thought provoking. Do you think that, if programs like this become more prevalent, we may possibly be looking at an early first step in our cultural/societal evolution?

John R.

Koh said...

John
Actually I think we have already begun a cultural/society evolution that has been caused by technology. For example, when we were kids, you didn't see four high school kids at the local deli sitting around a table . . . all 4 on cell phones taking to someone else.

Three years ago when I sat in one-on-one meeting with a colleague, her phone didn't make a noise every 2 minutes indicating a text message or incoming email. To me this is extremely rude, but to many, it is perfectly normal and they have learned to tune it out.

I agree with your overall thought process that Second Life could be the next phase in changing our society's beliefs, values, and customs.

Koh

Lisa said...

Koh,

I also compare technology to a knife--specifically the Internet. I always bring up this analogy when I’m teaching elementary school students about Internet safety and responsible use. The district gave our 4th and 5th graders email addresses and I am teaching them how to use them appropriately and safely. A couple students were not permitted by their parents to participate. When I ask my students if a knife is bad, a lot of them say “Yes!”. Then I ask them what they butter their bread or cut their meat with. It’s funny how some people have kneejerk reactions to things like knives and the Internet! I tell them that knives, like the Internet, can be dangerous, but they are also valuable tools.

In regard to Second Life, it goes back to what I said before about all emerging technologies—they all have negative characteristics. I do think Second Life could be very detrimental socially, emotionally, psychologically, and physically (as you said, sitting in front of a computer too long). I created an avatar in Second Life over a year ago, but have not used it for almost that long because I’m afraid I will be too distracted from my Walden work, my family, and my work I do as a teacher. I think it’s very cool, and I plan to explore Second Life more actively after I graduate. I will apply the same philosophy, though, that we do for our sons: making sure to have other activities and interests. Many people think that the future looks bad because of children and teenagers being addicted to video games. Our sons love their video games and social networking, but they volunteer at the zoo, play in an orchestra, do acting, and do well in school. I think it’s critical that adults guide and protect their children, just as they always have had to do, to help them develop into healthy, well-rounded adults.

Lisa

Koh said...

Lisa, I think you and I are on the same page in so many regards! I guess it all starts with the fact that we have the same name! (although I go by Koh.)

Koh